This recipe is from the Cauliflower & Cranberries episode of A is for Apple, hosted by Robert Jewell.
Serves: 4 – 6
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) butter
- 1 medium Spanish onion
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) ground curry powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups (500ml) whole milk
- 1 cup (250ml) 35% cream
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup (125ml) minced sundried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) red onion, small dice
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) cranberry juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) port (optional)
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) butter
- Remove leaves and the core from the cauliflower, separate 1cup (250ml) and roughly chop into bite sized pieces, reserve for garnish.
- Chop the rest of the cauliflower in chunks of similar size.
- Dice the onion into medium dice.
- Melt butter in a soup pot set over medium heat.
- Add the onion, curry powder and cauliflower.
- Cook until soft and lightly caramelized. Stirring frequently.
- Add the milk, cream, water and salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium low heat until cauliflower is fork tender about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and curry powder if necessary.
- For the cranberry compote place cranberries, onion, cranberry juice (port if using) and lemon zest in a small pot set over medium low heat and cook until cranberries have softened and most of the liquid is absorbed about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat.
- In a medium sized sauté pan add the reserved cauliflower with the butter. Sauté over medium heat until slightly caramelized and golden on the outside, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To serve ladle soup into 4 bowls. Equally divide the cauliflower garnish between the 4 bowls.
- Place in the center of each bowl.
- Place a spoonful of the cranberry compote in the center of the bowl.